Top 100 Pool and Billiards Maxims, Sayings, and Quotes
Simple and meaningful reminders for important things that good players know (some from an AZB thread).
See also: Top 100 Pool and Billiards "Secrets" and "Gems"
Aiming and Shot Making
- Aim while standing.
- Just don't miss.
- Where you look is where the ball will go.
- Percentages don't matter if you make the shot.
- Never ever chalk your cue tip prior to a miscue.
- Don't put too much "English" on the ball (i.e., never use more sidespin than is required for a shot). And don't put too much "American" on the ball (i.e., never use more speed than is required for a shot).
- Hit a Million Balls (HAMB) is the only fool-proof "aiming system."
- Don't use more power than you can control.
- Squat the rock after the break (i.e., leave the CB in the center of the table to have the most options after the break).
Cue Ball Control
- Draw for show, follow for the dough.
- There's nothing worse than good position if you miss the shot.
- If you already have position, don't play for it.
- Don't try to get perfect shape when good shape will do (i.e., just take what is offered).
- Center ball can do it all, and the center of the table is your friend.
- Take care of your cue ball and it will take care of you.
- Let one finger stay and the other will point the way. (concerning the 30-degree rule peace-sign technique)
- The best offense is sometimes a good defense.
- Keep your soldiers on the table (don't clear your balls in 8-ball until you are ready to run out).
- Playing a tough shot is better than playing a tough safety.
- A "real man" doesn't play safe unless he wants to win.
- It's not the cue. It's you.
- Don't cry in your beer, it will just get diluted.
- Never give a sucker an even game.
- Never gamble with a man named after a City or a State.
- If you can't find the one being hustled in the pool room, it's you.
- Life is a game. Money is how we keep score.
- A penny saved is a penny earned. [Benjamin Franklin] Also, a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.
- Don't count your chickens before they hatch.
- Hold the cue in your hand like a bird ... don't crush it to death, but also don't let it go.
- The grip should be like shaking a lady's hand. Don't crush it and don't be weak and limp wristed.
- Don't grip it and rip it (use a light and relaxed grip and smoothly accelerating stroke).
- Don't use a "death grip" on the cue.
- Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance. [Confucious]
- You don't know what you don't know. Or, if you knew what you didn't know, you wouldn't not know it.
- Give a man a fish ... feed him for a day. Teach him how to fish ... feed him for life. [Anne Ritchie]
- He who seeks shall find. [Matthew in The Bible]
- A good teacher is one who listens and learns. The same can be said for a student.
- Information is not knowledge.
- An investment in knowledge pays the best interest. [Benjamin Franklin]
- Wise men don't need advice. Fools won't take it. [Benjamin Franklin]
- When you finish changing, you're finished. [Benjamin Franklin]
- Don't believe everything you hear and read. Do what works best for you. Different strokes for different folks.
- Those who can't play teach.
- Pool is my life. My girlfriend is my hobby.
- Life is tough, but it sure beats the alternative.
- If you're going through hell, keep going.
- Action speaks louder than words.
- Life is short. Live today as if there is no tomorrow.
- The only things certain in life are death and taxes. [Benjamin Franklin]
- Don't judge a book by its cover.
- Honesty is the best policy. [Aesop]
- The grass is not always greener on the other side of the fence.
- It only takes one bad apple to spoil the bunch.
- When you come to a fork in the road, take it. [Yogi Berra]
- Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life. [Confucious]
- The game is 90% mental. The other half is physical. [Yogi Berra]
- Good decisions come from experience. Experience comes from making bad decisions. [Mark Twain]
- Think while standing, not while shooting.
- It ain't over till its over. [Yogi Berra]
- To succeed, you must first believe you can. [Nikos Kazantzakis]
- The secret to getting ahead is getting started. [Mark Twain]
- The glass is half full, not half empty.
- Do not dwell in the past. If you do, history tends to repeat itself.
- Attitude is a little thing that makes a big difference. [Winston Churchill]
- A person who never made a mistake never tried anything new. [Albert Einstein]
- Never, never, never give up.
- Every cloud has a silver lining. [John Milton]
- Practice, Practice, Practice.
- Practice makes perfect, especially perfect practice. Imperfect practice makes permanent.
- The more I practice, the luckier I get.
- Success is 10% inspiration and 90% perspiration. [Thomas Edison] There is no substitute for hard work.
- Without hard work, nothing grows but weeds. [Gordon Hinckley]
- By failing to prepare, you are preparing to fail. [Benjamin Franklin]
- Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]
- Amateurs practice a shot until they make it. Pros practice it until they can't miss.
- There are several shots, but only one right one.
- If you take care of the simple ones, the hard ones take care of themselves.
- There's always a shot ... you just have to find it.
- Don't try to run out unless you can.
- Think long ... think wrong. Don't suffer from Analysis Paralysis.
- Make every easy shot, and make every shot easy.
- Ignorance is bliss (don't over think things). [Thomas Gray]
- Take what's offered (i.e., don't get fancy if it's not required).
- Keep It Simple, Stupid (KISS). [US Navy]
- Make everything as simple as possible, but not simpler.
- Don't move balls if you don't need to.
- Stroke it, don't poke it.
- If you don't stroke straight you shouldn't aim straight. And shoot straighter ... play better.
- Don't be a jerk (with your transition from the backstroke to the forward stroke).
- Let your cue do the work.
- Veni vidi vici (I came, I saw, I conquered). [Julius Caesar]
- Winning isn't everything, it's the only thing. [Vince Lombardi] Failure is not an option.
- Winning is a habit; unfortunately, so is losing. [Vince Lombardi]
- The easiest way to win is to not let the other guy shoot.
- It is easier to have fun when you are winning.
- Show me a good loser and I'll show you a loser. [Vince Lombardi]
- To be a good loser is to learn how to win. [Carl Sandburg]
- When it means everything, play as if it means nothing.
- When the going gets tough, the tough get going.
- I would rather play a gloating winner than a sobbing loser.
top of page | website home page