Billiards and Pool Physics Resources
general interest books:
- Alciatore, D., The Illustrated Principles of Pool and Billiards, Sterling Publishing, 2004.
- Daish, C., The Physics of Ball Games, pp. 77-83 and 146-161, The English Universities Press, 1972.
- Griffing, D., The Dynamics of Sports, pp. 353-375, Mohican Publishing Company, Loudonville, Ohio, 1982.
- Koehler, J., The Science of Pocket Billiards, Sportology Publications, 1989.
- Stoddard, J., The Science of Billiards, The F. A. Bassette Co., 1913.
- Coriolis, G., Theorie mathematique des effets du jeu de billard (Mathematical Theory of the Game of Billiards) , Journal de l'Ecole polytechnique, 1835.
- Marlow, W., The Physics of Pocket Billiards, Marlow Advanced Systems Technologies (MAST), 1995.
- Shepard, R., "Amateur Physics for the Amateur Pool Player," 3rd edition, 1997.
- Stronge, W., "Impact Mechanics," Cambridge University Press, 2000.
see also: bibliography including French publications
general interest articles:
- Alciatore, D., "The Amazing World of Billiards Physics," article written (by request) for Scientific American magazine but not published, May, 2007.
- Alciatore, D., Billiards Digest Dr. Dave's Illustrated Principles monthly article.
- Jewett, B., Billiards Digest TechTalk monthly article.
- Klein, A., "Big Shot - With the help of physics, a teenage pool player goes pro," Science World, v.63, n. 9, February, 2007.
- Onoda, G., Billiards Digest series of articles from the late 1980s.
- Walker, J., "The Physics of the Follow, the Draw, and the Massé (in billiards and pool)," Scientific American, July, 1983.
- Wilmsen, E., "'Dr. Dave' teaches mechanical engineering principles through billiards," Today @ Colorado State, April 4, 2008.
- Alciatore, D., Pool and Billiards Physics Principles by Coriolis and Others, billiards.colostate.edu/physics/Alciatore_pool_physics_article.pdf, August, 2008.
- Alciatore, D., Technical Proofs for "The Illustrated Principles of Pool," 2002-present.
- Barnes, G., "Study of Collisions - Part I: A Survey of the Periodical Literature," American Journal of Physics, Vol. 26, No. 1, pp. 5-8, 1958.
- Barnes, G., "Study of Collisions - Part II: A Survey of the Periodical Literature," American Journal of Physics, Vol. 26, No. 9, pp. 9-12, 1958.
- Bayes, J. and Scott, W., "Billiard-Ball Collision Experiment," American Journal of Physics, Vol. 31, No. 3, pp. 197-200, 1963.
- Bouvill, M., "Position play in carom billiards as a Markov Process," Journal of Quantitative Analysis in Sports, Vol. 3, Issue 4, 2007.
- Cross, R., "Cue and ball deflection (or "squirt") in billiards," American Journal of Physics, Vol. 76, No. 3, pp. 205-212, 2008.
- Cross, R., Rolling motion of a ball spinning about a near-vertical axis, The Physics Teacher, 50, 25-27, 2012.
- Crown, S., "Modeling the Effects of Velocity, Spin, Frictional Coefficient, and Impact Angle o Deflection Angle in Near-elastic Collisions of Phenolic Resin Spheres," Cornell University Library arXiv.org, 2004.
- Domenech, A. et al., "Introduction to the study of rolling friction," American Journal of Physics, Vol. 55, No. 3, pp. 321-235, 1987.
- Domenech, A., and Casasus, E., "Frontal impact of rolling spheres," Phys. Educ., Vol. 26, No. 3, pp. 186-189, 1991.
- Domenech, A., "Non-smooth modelling of billiard- and superbilliard-ball collisions," International Journal of Mechanical Sciences, Vol. 50, No. 4, pp. 752-763, April 2008.
- Dussault, J. et al., Computational pool: an ORoptimization point of view, Encyclopedia of Operations Research and Management Science, 2010.
- Greenspan, M., et al., "Toward a Competitive Pool-Playing Robot," IEEE Computer, pp. 46-53, January, 2008.
- Gugan, D., "Inelastic collision and the Hertz theory of impact," American Journal of Physics, Vol. 68, No. 10, pp. 920-924, October 2000.
- Han, I., "Dynamics in Carom and Three Cushion Billiards," Journal of Mechanical Science and Technology (KSME Int'l J), Vol. 19, No. 4, pp. 976-984, 2005.
- Hierrezuelo, J. and Carnero, C., "Sliding and rolling: The physics of a rolling ball," Phys Educ., 30 (3), pp. 177-182, 1995.
- Kornfeind, P., et al, "Movement Variability of Professional Pool Billiards Players on Selected Tasks," Procedia Engineering, Vol. 112, pp. 540-545, 2015.
- Leckte W. and Greenspan, M., "Pool Physics Simulation by Event Prediction 1: Motion Transitions," International Computer Gaming Association Journal, vol. 28(4):214-222, Dec. 2005.
- Leckte W. and Greenspan, M., "Pool Physics Simulation by Event Prediction ii: Collisions," International Computer Gaming Association Journal, March, 2006.
- Lewandowski, J. and Faustino, I., "Design, Fabrication, and Implementation of Jump-Cue Testing Machine" (2006). Osprey Journal of Ideas and Inquiry, Paper 63, 2006.
- Long, J. et al., "Robotic pool: An experiment in automatic potting," Proceedings of EIII/RSJ International Conference on Intelligent Robots and Systems, Sendai, Japan, pp. 2530-2525, 2004.
- Mabry, R., "The Hardest Straight-in Pool Shot," The College Mathematics Journal, Vol. 41, No.1, pp. 49-57, January, 2010.
- Mathavan, S., et al., "Application of high-speed imaging to determine the dynamics of billiards," American Journal of Physics Vol. 77, No. 9, pp. 788-794, 2009.
- Mathavan, S., et al., "A theoretical analysis of billiard ball dynamics under cushion impacts," Proc. IMechE Vol. 224, Part C, Journal of Mechanical Engineering Science, 2010.
- Mathavan, S., et al., "Numerical simulations of the frictional collisions of solid balls on a rough surface," Sports Eng, June, 2014.
- Mathavan, S., et al., "Ball Positioning in Robotic Billiards: A Nonprehensile Manipulation-Based Solution," IEEE/ASME Transactions on Mechatronics, May, 2015.
- McIntyre, D., "Using great circles to understand motion on a rotating sphere," American Journal of Physics, Vol. 68, No. 12, pp. 10971105, December 2000.
- Moore, A. D., "Mechanics of Billiards, and Analysis of Willie Hoppe's Stroke," College of Engineering, University of Michigan, 1942.
- Nierhoff, T., et al., "Robotic Billiards: Understanding Humans in Order to Counter Them," IEEE Transactions on Cybernetics, 2015.
- Onoda, G., "Comment on 'Analysis of Billiard Ball Collisions in Two Dimensions'," American Journal of Physics, Vol. 57, No. 5, pp. 476-478, May, 1989.
- Petit, R., "The Art of Billiards Play."
- Shepard, R., "Everything you Always Wanted to Know About Cue Ball Squirt, but Were Afraid to Ask," 2001.
- Sorokin, A., "Investigation in Some Wave Properties of a Billiards Cue," http://dbkcues.ru/articles-2/investigation-in-some-wave-properties-of-a-billiards-cue/?lang=en, 2011.
- Tikhonov, S., "Russian Billiards: Table Difficulty," http://dbkcues.ru/2014/05/21/russian-billiards-table-difficulty-2/?lang=en, May, 2014.
- Wallace, R. and Schroeder, M., "Analysis of Billiard Ball Collisions in Two Dimensions," American Journal of Physics, Vol. 56, No. 9, September, pp. 815-819, 1988.
- Witters, J. and Duymelinck, D., "Rolling and sliding resistive forces on balls moving on a flat surface," American Journal of Physics, Vol. 54, No. 1, pp. 80-83, January, 1986.
- Yang, J. and Chen, Y., "The design of jump shot decision-making system for a billiard robot," IEEE Conference on Robotics Automation and Mechatronics (RAM), Singapore, June 2010.
top of page | website home page