Dr. Dave is a PBIA Master Instructor and an instructional author. He wrote the book “The Illustrated Principles of Pool and Billiards“ and has published numerous instructional videos, including the “Video Encyclopedia” series. All of his instructional products are available for purchase at: DrDaveBilliards.com. Dr. Dave created and maintains the popular billiards resource website billiards.colostate.edu, and is Dean and co-founder of the Billiard University (BU). He was instrumental in developing the BU assessment tools, rating system, and instructional resources. Dr. Dave is also a long-time monthly instructional columnist for Billiards Digest (BD) magazine and an active participant in online billiards forums and social media. He is a devoted authority and an expert in understanding and teaching the physics of the game. Dr. Dave offers private lessons and intensive courses through Dr. Dave’s Pool School and the BU Boot Camps. He also has an active Facebook page and YouTube Channel. Here are some examples of his most-watched YouTube videos:
Dr. Dave is a retired mechanical engineering professor (1991-2020) from Colorado State University in Fort Collins, Colorado. He was a passionate teacher and an experienced textbook author, and he has received many awards for his contributions. His teaching and writing experience has helped him develop skills for presenting and illustrating difficult concepts in a concise and understandable way. Here’s a video interview dealing with how Dr. Dave incorporated his passion for pool into the engineering classroom:
See also: “Racking Up the Physics of Pool” (university magazine article).
Here’s a good example video showing how he uses graphics and super-slow-motion clips to explain some complicated pool physics in simple terms:
And here’s an interview/lesson video with Rollie Williams and a podcast video with the famous astrophysicist Neil deGrasse Tyson (see the Billiards Buzz article).
Dr. Dave’s Pool Credentials and Service
- Master Instructor of the Professional Billiard Instructors Association (PBIA)
- Author of the popular book and DVD: The Illustrated Principles of Pool and Billiards
- Author of the innovative video: System for Aiming With Sidespin (SAWS)
- Coauthor of the comprehensive video series: The Video Encyclopedia of Pool Shots (VEPS)
- Coauthor of the comprehensive video series: The Video Encyclopedia of Pool Practice (VEPP)
- Coauthor of the comprehensive video series: The Video Encyclopedia of Eight Ball (VEEB)
- Coauthor of the comprehensive video series: The Video Encyclopedia of Nine-ball and Ten-ball (VENT)
- Coauthor of the comprehensive video series: The Video Encyclopedia of One Pocket (VEOP)
- Coauthor of the Billiard University (BU) instructional video series
- Coauthor of How to Aim Pool Shots (HAPS)
- Webmaster of the popular and extensive pool resources website: Billiards and Pool Principles, Techniques, and Resources
- Columnist, monthly Billiards Digest magazine instructional articles
- Head Instructor, Dr. Dave Pool School
- Head Instructor, Billiard University (BU) Boot Camps
- Webmaster and Co-Designer, Dr. Dave Billiard T-shirts.
- Instructor of the Year, Billiard Congress of America (BCA) PBIA Jerry Briesath Instructor of the Year Award, 2021 (see the BCA Insider article).
- North American Representative, WPA Rules Committee, 2023-present.
- Member, PBIA Instructor Committee, 2020-present.
- Editor and Main Author, PBIA Instructor Manual, 2021.
- Featured Guest, “The Physics of Billiards” on StarTalk Sports Edition with Neil deGrasse Tyson, 2021.
- Member, PBIA Online Teaching Subcommittee, 2021.
- Chair, PBIA Curriculum Subcommittee, 2020.
- Member, Billiard Education Foundation (BEF) Board of Trustees, 2010-2015.
- Dean, Billiard University (BU), 2012-present.
- Doctorate of Pool, Billiard University (BU), 2021.
Dr. Dave has collaborated on pool projects with many instructors and players over the years including: Tom Ross, Bob Jewett, Randy Russell, Samm Diep, Adam Bishop, Tom Simpson, Pubo Huang, Florian “Venom” Kohler, Shane Van Boening, Mike Massey, Neil deGrasse Tyson, and others.
Other Things Dr. Dave has Contributed to the Pool World
- extensive collection of online pool and billiards resources at billiards.colostate.edu.
- Billiard University (BU) assessment tools, rating system, instructional resources, and summer school boot camps.
- huge collection of free online high-speed-video super-slow-motion video clips.
- comprehensive online collection of answers and resources for frequently-asked-questions (FAQs) in all pool topics.
- numerous popular YouTube instructional videos, with over 40 million views and over 170,000 subscribers.
- 30° rule peace-sign technique.
- trisect (3-times the angle) system for predicting and controlling draw shot CB direction.
- System for Aiming With Sidespin (SAWS).
- twice-plus-tenths, 1/3-more-than-twice, 1-more-than-twice bank shot diamond systems.
- thorough explanation and illustration of all squirt, swerve, and throw effects and principles.
- thorough explanation and illustration of pocket center and size effects.
- analysis and summary of all useful draw shot effects and principles.
- comprehensive pool rules quiz and supporting videos (created with Bob Jewett) to test and improve understanding and application of the rules.
- pool terminology and physics quizzes to test an instructor’s or a student’s knowledge and understanding of important concepts.
- table difficulty factor (TDF) system for quantifying how difficult a table plays.
- vision center concepts and drills to help people test and find this important head position (the most important fundamental of pool).
- Runout Drill System (RDS) (created with Bob Jewett) for practicing, teaching, and learning pool and for rating playing ability.
- Placement Pool Challenge (PPC) collection of scored 8-ball and 9-ball layouts.
- extensive collection of teaching resources for instructors and students.
- extensive glossary of definitions for cue sports terms and phrases, including gambling lingo and technical terms.
- periodic pool Challenge Competitions with large cash prizes.
- series of videos dealing with useful physical therapy stretches and exercises for pool players.
- edited a major re-design of the PBIA Instructor Manual for training new instructors.
- wide selection of creative billiard theme T-shirt, polo, cap, and mug designs.
Example Videos of Dr. Dave Playing Pool
and here are some others:
- Dr. Dave playing 9-ball ghost (7-1, and 7-2) and 10-ball ghost (7-2 with a rating of 81)
- Dr. Dave practicing 15-ball rotation (collection of good racks)
- Dr. Dave getting a 100 on the Placement Pool Challenge PPC 100
- Dr. Dave getting a 93 on the Runout Drill System RDS 100
- Dr. Dave taking the BU Playing Ability Exams: Exam I – Fundamentals (93), Exam II – Skills – Doctorate (88), Exam III – Advanced Shots (52), Exam IV – Runout Drill System 100 (93)
- Dr. Dave – Straight Pool Run Your Age Challenge – 57
- Dr. Dave 36-Ball Runout Challenge Entry
- Dr. Dave executing the Most Famous Pool Shots of All Time
Dr. Dave keeps this site commercial free, with no ads. If you appreciate the free resources, please consider making a one-time or monthly donation to show your support: