Dr. Dave is a PBIA Advanced Instructor and an instructional author. He wrote the “The Illustrated Principles of Pool and Billiards” and has published numerous instructional videos, including the “Video Encyclopedia” series. All of his instructional products are available for purchase at: DrDaveBilliards.com. Dr. Dave created and maintains the popular billiards resources website billiards.colostate.edu, and is Dean and cofounder of the Billiard University (BU). He was instrumental in developing the BU assessment tools, rating system, and instructional resources. Dr. Dave is also a long-time monthly instructional columnist for Billiards Digest (BD) magazine and an active participant on the AZB online discussion forum. He is a devoted pool and billiards enthusiast and an expert in understanding the physics of the game. Dr. Dave offers private lessons and intensive courses through Dr. Dave’s Pool School and the BU Summer School Boot Camps. He also has an active Facebook page and YouTube Channel. Here’s an example of one of his most-watched YouTube videos:
Dr. Dave is a retired mechanical engineering professor (1991-2020) from Colorado State University in Fort Collins, Colorado. He was a passionate teacher and an experienced textbook author, and he has received many awards for his contributions. His teaching and writing experience has helped him develop skills for presenting and illustrating difficult concepts in a concise and understandable way. Here’s a video interview dealing with how Dr. Dave incorporated his passion for pool into the engineering classroom:
See also: “Racking Up the Physics of Pool” (university magazine article).
Dr. Dave’s Pool Credentials
- Author of the innovative and popular book and DVD: The Illustrated Principles of Pool and Billiards
- Author of the invovative video: System for Aiming With Sidespin (SAWS)
- Coauthor of the comprehensive video series: The Video Encyclopedia of Pool Shots (VEPS)
- Coauthor of the comprehensive video series: The Video Encyclopedia of Pool Practice (VEPP)
- Coauthor of the comprehensive video series: The Video Encyclopedia of Eight Ball (VEEB)
- Coauthor of the comprehensive video series: The Video Encyclopedia of Nine-ball and Ten-ball (VENT)
- Coauthor of the Billiard University (BU) instructional video series
- Coauthor of How to Aim Pool Shots (HAPS)
- Webmaster of the popular website: Billiards and Pool Principles, Techniques, and Resources
- Columnist for monthly Billiards Digest magazine instructional articles
- Head Instructor for the Dr. Dave Pool School
- Head Instructor for the Billiard University (BU) Summer School Boot Camps
- Advanced Instructor of the Professional Billiard Instructors Association (PBIA)
- Board Member of the Billiard Education Foundation (BEF) Board of Trustees, 2010-2015
- Dean of the Billiard University (BU)
- Doctorate of Pool from the Billiard University (BU)
Other Things Dr. Dave has Contributed to the Pool World
- Billiard University assessment tools, rating system, instructional resources, and summer school boot camps.
- huge collection of free online high-speed-video super-slow-motion video clips
- comprehensive online collection of answers and resources for frequently-asked-questions (FAQs) in all pool topics
- numerous popular YouTube instructional videos
- 30° rule peace-sign technique
- trisect (3-times the angle) system for aiming draw shots
- SAWS BHE/FHE calibration system for aiming with sidespin
- thorough explanation and illustration of all squirt, swerve, and throw effects and principles
- thorough explanation and illustration of pocket center and size effects
- analysis and summary of all useful draw shot effects and principles
- comprehensive quiz and supporting videos to test understanding and application of pool rules
- table difficulty factor (TDF) system for quantifying how difficult a table plays
- “vision center” drills to help people test and find this important head position (the most important fundamental of pool)
Example Videos of Dr. Dave Playing Pool
and here are some others:
- Dr. Dave playing 9-ball ghost (7-1, and 7-2).
- Dr. Dave practicing 15-ball rotation (collection of good racks).
- Dr. Dave taking the BU Playing Ability Exams: Exam I – Fundamentals (93), Exam II – Skills – Doctorate (86).